Aug 17, 2021
Empowering your Gen X donors
Though the world seems fixated on comparing the behaviors and habits of baby boomers, millennials, and members of Gen Z, one group tends to get overshadowed — Generation X. Many organizations don’t realize just how valuable Gen X members are when it comes to charitable giving. With Generation X donors on your side, your nonprofit will likely see increases in donations.
Who is Generation X?
Generation X, also known as Gen X or the Lost Generation, typically comprises individuals born between 1965 and 1979. Because Gen Xers began caring for themselves at a much younger age than other generations, they grew up to become self-sufficient, individualistic, and resourceful.
Generation X grew up during a time defined by space exploration, the development of the modern computer, MTV, and rising tensions between the United States and the Soviet Union. Core values of Generation X include:
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- A healthy work-life balance
- Environmental protection
Exploring the giving habits of Gen X
Generation X has a high volunteer rate and prefers to donate and engage with nonprofit organizations online using their mobile devices. Many members of this group view charitable giving as a part of their identity and are intentional about contributing to causes that are important to them. Most Gen Xers will research a nonprofit before donating to it and discontinue their support if they feel their money isn’t being used responsibly.
Individuals from Gen X are likely to donate to causes concerning health services, animal rescue and welfare, and environmental conservation. They also favor nonprofit organizations that focus on international affairs, public policy, and community development.
How to empower Generation X donors
Every generation responds differently to nonprofit outreach methods, so it’s essential to target your Generation X donors by tailoring your approach to their interests and values. Keyways you can empower your Gen X donors include:
- Showcasing your impact: It’s important to Generation X that they know exactly where their money is going when they donate to an organization. You can gain their trust by being transparent about how your nonprofit uses its funds and how it’s making a difference by showcasing testimonials, success stories and photos, and videos of past projects.
- Organizing workplace events: Gen X donors enjoy participating in workplace philanthropy, including fundraising initiatives like walkathons, auctions, and competitive events. You can gain their engagement by partnering with corporate sponsors to organize charity events for your organization.
- Taking to social media: Many Generation X donors prefer to give online. They’re likely to respond to social media appeals and donation forms.
- Maintaining your relationships: Bad experiences quickly deter Gen Xers from donating to charities. That’s why it’s vital to nurture and maintain your relationships with your current donors by setting up automated email receipts, personal notes, follow-up phone calls, and mail updates to simplify the donation process and ultimately express your gratitude.
Connect with Gen X Donors through GiveSmart
You can empower your Gen X donors to contribute to your nonprofit’s cause with GiveSmart. Our innovative mobile fundraising software has helped nonprofits nationwide raise billions of dollars by streamlining donations and engaging patrons through centralized fundraising events.
Request a demo to see how we can help you reach your fundraising goals today!